The reporter expressed a safety concern that training had been inadequate for the grade separation works completed on the [location] line. The reporter advised that while documentation was provided, simulated tracks video and driving under instruction (similar to what had been provided for previous new works) had not been provided in this case.
Operator's response (Operator 1)
[Operator} responds to the report as follows:
- At all times we ensure drivers are able to operate safely on the network, including where network conditions may have changed.
- The type of driver training required for completed grade separation works is determined having regard to what is required to be done to ensure that it delivers the requisite level of competency. Different training can therefore be appropriate for different alterations to the network.
- Attaining the requisite level of competency for a grade separation is typically dictated by the complexity of the change, and ability of a person under training to become competent.
- To determine this, we adopt a risk based approach in determining the training requirement in order to become competent.
- The risk based approach includes; conducting a risk assessment with subject matter experts from training, competency and safety areas, reviewing the technical and operational context of the change as part of the risk assessment process, identification of specific safety risks, identification of proposed mitigations, completion of the risk assessment and issuing of the risk assessment record for review.
- The risk based approach is conducted as per our analysis of route knowledge and training and risk management procedures, which are both contained within our safety management system.
- In regards to the training for the grade separation works completed on the [Location] line, the training requirements were determined as per the above mentioned steps. As such, there may be differences in the training deliverables required to achieve the same competence outcome from one level crossing to another.
Regulator's response (Regulator 1)
Prior to receiving the REPCON Report, the ONRSR had scheduled a compliance inspection with the operator focussing on the operator’s management of the road/rail separation project, whereby; the reported safety concerns will now also form part of the scope.