The ATSB is investigating a collision between an Aurizon freight train and an excavator on the dual gauge line near Fairfield Station, Queensland, on 15 July 2023.
In order to undertake track maintenance work on the Beenleigh line, the line had been closed to suburban passenger trains for the weekend, and closed to freight trains on the dual gauge line between 0600 and 1800. The track closure for freight operations was handed back to the network control officer at about 1945, and at about 2000, train Y375 collided with an unmanned excavator. There were no injuries, but there was significant damage to the excavator and minor damage to the locomotive.
The ATSB has commenced the examination and analysis of the initial evidence collected.
To date, the ATSB investigation has included :
• interviewing directly involved parties
• examination of recorded data
• collection of safeworking records
• initial review of training records
At this stage, the continuing investigation will include further analysis of :
• safeworking and training records
• contractual arrangements including analysis of various roles and responsibilities
• related occurrences
• any other relevant information
A final report will be released at the conclusion of the investigation. Should a critical safety issue be identified during the course of the investigation, the ATSB will immediately notify relevant parties, so that appropriate safety action can be taken.