Safety action taken:
The Manager Pilotage Services advised the following proactive actions have been taken:
All Ports Norths pilots and Smit Lamnalco tug masters have completed together emergency response and escort towage training including:
- emergency towage scenarios
- positioning and use of tugs in an emergency
- competency in standard escort tug manoeuvres and indirect towage.
- Arrival and departure briefs developed for the Port of Weipa have been updated with:
- safety settings for electronic chart display and information system
- tidal information
- weather conditions
- wind limits and tug positions/line lengths.
All masters and ship bridge teams are briefed before arrivals and departures.