The Administrator in Council has made a proclamation for the Transport Safety Investigation Act 2003 (TSI Act) to commence operation on 1 July 2003. The Administrator in Council has also made the Transport Safety Investigation Regulations 2003 which will commence together with the TSI Act on 1 July to provide the new and complete legislative framework for the Australian Transport Safety Bureau's (ATSB) investigations. The TSI Act and Regulations consolidate and update the ATSB's powers of aviation and marine investigation and extends them to allow investigations on the interstate rail system.
Essentially the TSI Act and Regulations cover the:
- conduct of independent transport safety investigations by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB);
- reporting of transport safety matters;
- making of safety action statements including safety recommendations to address safety deficiencies identified by investigations;
- publication of investigation results; and
- protection of sensitive safety information.
As the new and complete legislative framework for transport safety investigations in aviation and marine transport the TSI Act and Regulations replace the ATSB's investigation powers in Part 2A of the Air Navigation Act 1920 (AN Act) for aviation and the Navigation (Marine Casualty) Regulations 1990 (Marine Casualty Regulations) for marine. Transitional arrangements have been provided for investigations conducted under this legislation before 1 July 2003. Aviation and marine investigations commenced or completed before 1 July 2003 will be covered by the provisions of Part 2A of the AN Act and the Marine Casualty Regulations respectively. Investigations commenced on or after 1 July 2003 will be covered by the TSI Act and Regulations.
The TSI Act, the Regulations and their accompanying material can be accessed on this page (below).
The Consolidated Explanatory Memorandum (EM) includes both the original and the Supplementary EM that was written for Government amendments made in the Senate. Explanations have also been included for a couple of non-government provisions that were passed in the Senate.
*See ' TSI Act 2003 - Questions and Answers'...
- Proclamation [PDF: 13KB]
- Transport Safety Investigation Act 2003 [PDF: 152KB]
- Transport Safety Investigation (Consequential Amendments) Act 2003 [PDF: 38KB]
- Consolidated Explanatory Memorandum [PDF: 277KB]
- TSI Bill 2002 - 2nd Reading Speech [PDF: 18KB]
- TSI Bill (Consequential Amendments) 2002 - 2nd Reading Speech [PDF: 8KB]
- Transport Safety Investigation Regulations 2003 [PDF: 117KB]