Aviation safety issues and actions
Interim Recommendation issued to: Airservices Australia and the Civil Aviation Safety Authority
|Date issued:||04 July 1997|
|Safety action status:||Closed|
The Bureau of Air Safety Investigation recommends that
Airservices Australia and the Civil Aviation Safety
1. implement methods for the timely dissemination of the MBZ or CTAF frequency to pilots;
2. implement methods of providing to pilots confirmation of the correct selection and operation of an MBZ or CTAF frequency;
3. examine the requirement for the establishment and operation of traffic alerting services at all aerodromes during RPT operations;
4. examine the provision of additional radar coverage in the Bundaberg area; and
5. examine the provision of surveillance for other locations serviced by RPT operations.
|Date issued:||11 September 1997|
|Response from:||AirServices Australia|
|Action status:||Closed - Accepted|
Reference is made to the Bureau's Air Safety Interim Recommendation No IR970110 which relate to communications procedures for MBZ and CTAF.
With regard to Interim Recommendation 1, Airservices have issued a NOTAM instructing pilots to report the frequency to which they are changing as part of the "Changing To" call. The frequency quoted is, whenever practicable, recorded by ATS for the information of other pilots. Airservices do not intend providing the MBZ or CTAF frequency to pilots on an individual basis as a matter of routine. Other methods of disseminating the MBZ or CTAF frequency, e.g. via AWIB broadcast will be taken into consideration.
It should be noted however, that the longevity of this procedure is not great, given the likely directions of Airspace 2000 and introduction of the National Advisory Frequency (NAF) in Class G airspace.
Interim Recommendations 2 and 3 fall within the CASA areas of responsibility for a response.
Interim Recommendations 4 and 5 relating to the provision of additional surveillance in the Bundaberg area and for other locations serviced by RPT will be considered by Airservices.