In April 2019, Queensland Rail advised that it had taken the following safety action:
1. MD-10-575 CETS [Civil Engineering Track Standard] was reviewed recently (2018) and the requirement for a Level Crossing was explicitly included in Appendix 1A schedule of inspections.
2. MD-10-575 CETS, Module 5 is currently subject to an interim review and changes are being made to provide more detail on the priority for defects at level crossings including roadways and flangeways.
3. MD-10-115 Level Crossing Safety Standard is currently under routine review. Key findings from the report will be incorporated in the review, ie:
- Defects identified shall be entered in the Asset Manager’s defect management system (EAMS).
- Acknowledgment of AS7658 requirement for the road surface requirements, which differ slightly from AS1742.7 (Most likely to be captured in standard drawing review).
- Clarifying the in-field identification and requirements for occupational crossings and public level crossings.
- Identifying that Interface Agreements are a control and the absence of an Interface agreement may require additional controls from QR.
- Clarifying the intent and expectation for the various inspections across a level crossing.
4. MD-16-645 Level Crossing Check Sheet has been reformatted to assist with the clarifying the requirements for an inspection of level crossing infrastructure to support changes in MD-10-575 CETS. This will be issued concurrently with MD-10-115.
5. Review of standard drawings associated with Level Crossings to improve clarity for expectations of design of Level Crossings. This will be issued following release of MD-10-115.