Updated 12 December 2017
The investigation into a stick shaker activation involving a Boeing 747, VH-OJU, 110 km SE of Hong Kong Airport (BETTY IFR), on 7 April 2017 is continuing. Investigators have now:
- interviewed members of the flight and cabin crew
- collected and reviewed aircraft and pilot documentation
- reviewed the recorded flight data of the occurrence
- obtained relevant operator and manufacturer analysis and operational documentation, and
- reviewed the weather conditions affecting the flight.
Completion of the draft report is subject to further analysis of the nature of the stick shaker activation. On completion of the draft report and internal review, the report will be sent to directly involved parties for comment before the report is finalised and published.
Published: 12 April 2017
The ATSB is investigating a stick shaker activation involving a Qantas Boeing 747, VH-OJU, 110 km SE of Hong Kong (BETTY IFR), on 7 April 2017.
While holding at flight level 220, the flight crew received a stick shaker activation and detected airframe buffeting. The flight crew disconnected the autopilot and manoeuvred the aircraft in response. Six persons sustained minor injuries.
As part of the investigation, the ATSB will interview the flight crew and gather additional information.
A report will be released within several months.