A review of aviation safety occurrences by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) has identified that Jandakot Airport had a disproportionate rate of aircraft near‑collisions. Specifically, between 2013 and 2015 Jandakot Airport had a near‑collision rate that was at least three times higher than other similar metropolitan Class D airports across Australia.
In response to this identified transport safety matter, the ATSB has commenced an investigation to identify the factors that increase the collision risk to aircraft operating at Jandakot Airport. The investigation will examine a number of the most recent near-collision occurrences for common features and review the characteristics of Jandakot Airport compared to other similar airports. This will include:
- interviewing pilots and air traffic controller involved in recent events
- reviewing incidents reported to the ATSB
- examining the pattern of aircraft movement across time
- interviewing frequent operators using Jandakot airport
- interviewing air traffic control personnel from Jandakot airport.