As a result of this occurrence, Pacific National, in conjunction with Downer EDI Rail advised that the following safety actions have been implemented:
- An immediate inspection of all locomotives fitted with the sight glass arrangement to ensure clevis assemblies conform with OEM specifications and requirements
- A best practice review and various amendments to the current maintenance procedures which has increased the inspection requirements for the clevis and clevis bolts. Included are additional requirements to inspect for the following:
- Bending in at the base of the sight glass clevis
- Worn clevis bolts
- Elongation of clevis bolt locating holes
- Fracture of sight glass clevis
- Worn thread on the sight glass thumb screw
- Correct alignment of the clevis bolts in the aperture of the fuel filter assembly
- An audit of its current stock of clevis bolts to ensure conformance to OEM specifications
- Improved sight glass clevis tightening procedures.
The Australian Transport Safety Bureau is satisfied that the actions taken by PN and DEDIR address this safety issue.