Preliminary report released 29 September 2011
On 16 August 2011, the Hon Anthony Albanese MP, Minister for Infrastructure and Transport, requested that the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) undertake a systemic investigation of rail operations on the interstate rail line between Sydney and Melbourne. In accordance with the Minister's request the ATSB commenced a safety issue investigation which will consider:
- The condition of the interstate rail track and measures that have been put in place to maintain the safety of rail operations where track quality is below acceptable operational standards;
- Actions taken by the Australian Rail Track Corporation (ARTC) to remediate the track and address the safety of operations;
- Safeworking practices in relation to the track;
- A systemic review of safety systems, including signalling and the quality assurance of work undertaken on the track; and,
- Any other matters considered relevant by the ATSB.