The ATSB has been advised that BP Shipping (BPS) are producing a training DVD that will cover.
Routine checks and maintenance of boats and davits, including:
• Limit switches
• Engine and small gear checks
• Bilge pump, steering and interlocks
• Job Hazard Analysis and Risk Assessment
• Launching and recovery of the boat
• Wave compensator for Gem, Virtue and C Class vessels
• Operation of the boat and the recovery of casualties from the water
• Emergency operations and breakdowns
• Contingency planning
The DVD will be BP Shipping specific but will be produced in conjunction with the rescue boat manufacturers and the davit manufacturers as well as having input from Flag and Class. The DVD will be complete by the second half of 2011 and will be on the vessels by the end of 2011.
The ATSB is satisfied that the action proposed by BP Shipping adequately addresses the safety issue