Jump to Content
Download Final Report
[ Download PDF: 22KB]

The pilot had flown the aircraft from Archerfield to Sydney earlier in the morning. It was his first long flight in the aircraft since purchasing it four months previously. He reported that the fuel tank had been filled to capacity on the day prior to DEPARTURE from Archerfield, and during the flight he had used the correct mixture leaning technique. On arrival at Sydney the pilot calculated there was adequate fuel for the flight to Camden and noted that the fuel gauge indicated "10 gallons". Twelve minutes after takeoff the engine lost all power. The pilot was then forced to attempt a landing on a sports oval. The aircraft touched down in the centre of the oval and ran through the boundary fence and over an embankment before coming to rest. An inspection of the wreckage revealed that the engine had failed after all the usable fuel had been exhausted. The fuel tank was subsequently filled to capacity and it was found to hold only 119 litres, instead of the 132 litres specified in the Aircraft Flight Manual, although the pilot believed the tank capacity to be 159 litres. This reduction in tank capacity had been caused by creases in the bladder fuel tank, and it is also likely that the fuel gauge overread as a result of the creased bladder.

Download Final Report
[ Download PDF: 22KB]
General details
Date: 24 November 1987 Investigation status: Completed 
Time: 1009  
Location:8 km North of Sydney Airport Investigation type: Occurrence Investigation 
State: New South Wales Occurrence type: Fuel exhaustion 
Release date: 01 December 1987 Occurrence class: Operational 
Report status: Final Occurrence category: Accident 
 Highest injury level: None 
Aircraft details
Aircraft manufacturer: Victa Ltd 
Aircraft model: 100 
Aircraft registration: VH-MUQ 
Serial number: 102 
Type of operation: Private 
Damage to aircraft: Substantial 
Departure point:Sydney NSW
Departure time:0953
Destination:Camden NSW
Share this page Provide feedback on this investigation