Jump to Content
Download Final Report
[ Download PDF: 22KB]

The aircraft was being flown for the first time. The pilot stated that after take-off the aircraft felt very nose heavy and that he had difficulty in maintaining a nose-up attitude after lift-off. When he attempted to reset the the elevator trim the friction nut broke. The back pressure that he was required to hold with the control column reduced as the airspeed increased. During the subsequent approach the pilot found he had insufficient elevator control available to flare the aircraft. On touchdown the aircraft bounced and a go-around was carried out. The pilot made several other landing attempts but on each occasion the aircraft bounced. On the final attempt the aircraft bounced a number of times before the right canard collapsed and the aircraft ran off the runway. The aircraft had been correctly loaded, with the centre of gravity 14 aft of the forward limit. The angles of incidence on the wing and the canard were found to be about 0.3 degrees outside the design specifications. It was apparent that there was a critical relationship between these angles, the centre of gravity position and the amount of pitch control available. The aircraft manufacturer subsequently recommended a modification to the control system.

Download Final Report
[ Download PDF: 22KB]
General details
Date: 10 October 1985 Investigation status: Completed 
Time: N/K  
Location:Bankstown Investigation type: Occurrence Investigation 
State: New South Wales Occurrence type: Hard landing 
Release date: 30 October 1986 Occurrence class: Operational 
Report status: Final Occurrence category: Accident 
 Highest injury level: None 
Aircraft details
Aircraft manufacturer: Quickie Aircraft Corporation 
Aircraft model: Q200 
Aircraft registration: VH-FMV 
Type of operation: Private 
Damage to aircraft: Substantial 
Departure point:Bankstown NSW
Departure time:N/K
Destination:Bankstown NSW
Share this page Provide feedback on this investigation