Jump to Content
Download Final Report
[ Download PDF: 94KB]
The pilot had completed three flights, consisting of a boundary survey flight followed by two spreading sorties. The weather was clear and calm and the temperature approximately 40°F. The third spreading sortie was to be flown over a paddock of irregular shape, about 1 mile long and 300 feet wide, oriented north-west south-east. The paddock was bisected by a line of trees beyond which the ground sloped gently upwards towards a low hill located beyond the south eastern boundary. A witness standing near the north western boundary of the paddock watched the aircraft as it began spreading in a south easterly direction and then lost sight of it. Approximately one half minute later the sound of the engine ceased abruptly followed closely by a heavy impact. The aircraft was found to have struck the ground while in a nose down attitude of some 22 degrees with the right wing slightly low and at a location consistent with the aircraft having completed its spreading run and turning to commence its next run. The impact marks indicate that the aircraft was skidding to the right. The hopper doors were in the dump position and portion of the load had been jettisoned immediately before impact. The aircraft came to rest facing in a south westerly direction some 53 feet from the initial impact point. There was no fire.
Download Final Report
[ Download PDF: 94KB]
General details
Date: 31 July 1970 Investigation status: Completed 
Time: 0802 EST  
Location:Mudgee Investigation type: Occurrence Investigation 
State: New South Wales Occurrence type: Terrain Collision 
Release date: 04 May 1971 Occurrence class: Operational 
Report status: Final Occurrence category: Accident 
 Highest injury level: Fatal 
Aircraft details
Aircraft manufacturer: Airparts NZ Ltd 
Aircraft model: FU-23-300 
Aircraft registration: VH-CRQ 
Type of operation: Aerial Work 
Sector: Piston 
Damage to aircraft: Destroyed 
Share this page Provide feedback on this investigation
Last update 16 May 2014