Jump to Content
Download Final Report
[ Download PDF: 91KB]
The pilot completed the refuelling of the aircraft and pushed it back to a position approximately half way across the 100 feet wide apron. He applied the parking brake, carried out a pre-flight check and commenced the starting up procedure. He made two unsuccessful attempts to start the engine and then adopted the flooded start technique by setting the throttle to 3/4 open and the mixture control to "Idle Cut Off". When the engine fired on this attempt the pilot moved the mixture control to "Rich" but then found that he was unable to close the throttle, which had apparently jammed. The aircraft moved forward under high power, overcoming the parking brake, which was weak. Before the pilot was able to move his feet from their position on the floor and place them on the brake pedals, or take any of the other courses of action which were indicated, the aircraft had travelled forward some 60 feet to a position at which it struck a heavy wooden post and a steel stake on the fence line of the apron. Examination of the throttle control assembly did not disclose any defect which would have accounted for the inability of the pilot to control the engine power output, however, misuse of the throttle locking button could have led to a situation in which the throttle control jammed.
Download Final Report
[ Download PDF: 91KB]
General details
Date: 25 July 1970 Investigation status: Completed 
Time: 1230 EST  
Location:Inverell Investigation type: Occurrence Investigation 
State: New South Wales  
Release date: 23 August 1971  
Report status: Final Occurrence category: Accident 
 Highest injury level: None 
Aircraft details
Aircraft manufacturer: Beech Aircraft Corp 
Aircraft model: 35 
Aircraft registration: VH-DDB 
Type of operation: Aerial Work 
Damage to aircraft: Substantial 
Departure point:Inverell North
Departure time:1230
Destination:Inverell North
Share this page Provide feedback on this investigation
Last update 16 May 2014