Careers at the Australian Transport Safety Bureau
Working as “one team”, we have created an operational environment where our greatest resource – our people – will more effectively bring to bear their collective wealth of core skills and attributes to improve transport safety across the aviation, rail and marine transport sectors.
The ATSB's purpose is to improve safety of, and public confidence in, aviation, marine and rail transport through:
- independent investigation of transport accidents and other safety occurrences
- safety data recording, analysis and research
- fostering safety awareness, knowledge and action.
You must be an Australian citizen or a permanent resident to apply for an non-ongoing (temporary) or ongoing (permanent) position at the ATSB.
Should you require further assistance in terms of submitting your application, please contact our Recruitment Officer on 02 6122 1673 or via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Current position vacant
|Classification:||Executive Level 1 Senior Lawyer|
|Position number:||Reference No: 2021/13|
|Tenure:||Non-ongoing irregular and intermittent (casual) for up to six months|
|Salary:||$67.74 - $82.12 per hour, includes leave loading of 25% (plus 15.4% superannuation)*|
|Close date:||Sunday, 19 September 2021 at 11:59 pm AEST|
|Contact officer:||Patrick Hornby on (02) 6122 1625|
About the position
*the starting salary rate will be negotiated with the successful applicant based on their ability to perform relevant work level standards and experience base.
The Legal, Governance and International team provides integral support to the functioning of the ATSB across a range of legal, governance, strategic policy matters and delivery of international programs.
The team requires a lawyer on a non-ongoing irregular and intermittent (casual) basis to cover the provision of ad hoc in-house legal advice and representation. This is not a full-time position. This is to pick up tasks as allocated. Some weeks may require a number of hours work. Other weeks very little.
There is a lot of variety and could include:
- in-house legal advice, particularly advice involving statutory interpretation
- preparation for litigation and challenges to administrative decision making
- representation in coronial inquests
- negotiation and drafting of commercial contracts, intergovernmental and international agreements and legislative instruments; development of legislation and leading consultation with stakeholders on its implementation
- privacy and freedom of information
- legal awareness training
- providing support to the audit and risk committee
- risk and fraud policies and plans and conducting risk and fraud assessments
- creating and updating governance compliance documentation (for example compliance documentation required under the Public Governance Performance and Accountability Act 2013.
The eligibility requirements for entry to the Execute Level 1 Senior Lawyer role are:
- degree in Laws from an Australian tertiary institution or a comparable overseas qualification which is appropriate to the duties of the classification
- admission or the capacity to be admitted as a legal practitioner, however described, of the High Court or the Supreme Court of an Australian State or Territory; and
- Possession of a current restricted practising certificate issued by the ACT Law Society, or the ability to obtain such a certificate within three months of commencing employment within the ATSB.
Application kit: (including position description and selection criteria)[ Download DOCX: 254KBPDF: 209KB]
Applicant coversheet: (Attachment A)[ Download DOC: 108KBPDF: 171KB]
Current position vacant
|Title:||HEALTH, SAFETY AND WELLBEING SPECIALIST|
|Classification:||APS level 6|
|Position number:||Reference No: 2021/12|
|Salary:||$84,353 - $96,275 pa (plus 15.4% superannuation)|
|Location:||Canberra, Brisbane and potentially Melbourne|
|Close date:||Monday, 27 September 2021 11:59 pm AEST|
|Contact officer:||Tanya Fitzgerald (02) 6122 1679|
About the position
We are seeking a Work Health Safety and Wellbeing specialist to design, implement and evaluate Work Health Safety and Wellbeing strategies and programs for the ATSB. You will be joining a small, dynamic Human Resources team responsible for workforce strategy, recruitment and selection, performance and capability development, workplace relations and work health safety and wellbeing.
We are looking for someone who likes to be challenged, is collaborative and can work independently to deliver effective results. If you can think strategically and be ‘hands on’ operationally, you will be empowered to drive outcomes relating to your specialty. From time-to-time you will also be called on to provide support to your colleagues, particularly during peak periods of work.
In this role you will provide advice to the Executive (CEO and SES) and the Senior Management Team (Directors) on Health, Safety and Wellbeing legislation, emerging research and contemporary programs.
Your primary focus will be to strengthen ATSB’s health, safety and wellbeing strategies and programs to ensure the safety of and improve the wellbeing of our people. In this role you will:
- Ensure WHS policies, procedures, guidance and administrative functions are compliant with legislative and policy requirements and underpinned by an assurance and reporting framework.
- Enhance the ATSB’s procedures and management of critical incident stress.
- Design, implement and monitor wellbeing programs to achieve zero harm objectives.
- Undertake research and liaise with external organisations to ensure compliance with different jurisdictions, legislation, regulations and industry standards to minimise ATSB’s risk exposure and liabilities.
- Actively participate in the WHSW Committee and business unit forums to drive health, safety and wellbeing strategies and programs that achieve ATSB objectives.
- Monitor and support health, safety and wellbeing activities ensuring communication and distribution of timely, reliable and relevant workplace safety and wellbeing information and/or training.
- Provide expert advice and support to managers and/or Human Resources dealing with any issues/injuries in the workplace or where an investigation is required.
We are looking for:
- experience designing and implementing safety systems and/or wellbeing programs
- a commitment to continuously improving the health and wellbeing of our staff
- strong oral and written communication skills, including the ability to prepare briefings for senior leaders
- strong interpersonal skills with the ability to influence and liaise with stakeholders at all levels
- excellent project management or organisational skills, including the ability to manage competing priorities
- facilitation skills with an aptitude for building capabilities
- qualifications in Psychology, Work Health and Safety or other relevant tertiary qualification, or a minimum of five years of experience working in safety and wellbeing roles is highly desirable.